FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How do you buy from the Designer Exchange website?
It's super easy and hassle free to buy from Designer Exchange by simply adding the item(s) you want to your basket and following the check out process. Your item(s) will be sanitised before being packaged safely and securely then you will be provided with tracking information from DHL or DPD.
You can choose to pay by using either a card, via PayPal or with a Designer Exchange voucher (or a mix!).
Click below to learn more about ways to pay on uk.designerexchange.comRead more...
The cards accepted are Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Maestro as well as ApplePay. Please note, when paying by card, Designer Exchange can only ship to the address registered on your online account.
When paying with PayPal, you can checkout directly through your existing PayPal account. If you would like to ship to a different address when paying with PayPal, there is the option to edit your address at the checkout. If you do not currently have an account, you can check out as a guest. As a guest, you will be asked to provide your card details, billing address, and a delivery address.
If you choose to pay with a Designer Exchange voucher, you will be asked to provide your name and address, as well as the voucher details. If there is any remaining credit after your transaction, a new voucher will be emailed to you.Order Cancellation
If you would like to cancel an order, you have until it is dispatched. To cancel, please email Customer Services at email@example.com with your request, and include your order number. It may be too far along in the process that the order must be finished to then refund instantly. If your order has already been dispatched, you can follow the refund procedure once you have received your items.Exotic Skins
Products containing ostrich, crocodile, alligator or lizard will not be avaliable for international delivery.Data Protection
Please note that Designer Exchange is fully compliant with the data protection laws to ensure your data is safe, and that you are fully aware of how it will be used. If you want to close your account (your in-store or online account) at anytime, please just email firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be taken care of.Close
Q. What are the delivery options?
If you order before 12pm Monday to Thursday then your item will arrive the next day and if you order after this time, your order will be delivered to you within 2 working days. However at the moment please allow a few extra days due to the small socially distant teams working to pack your orders.
Please note, delivery times may also be affected by bank holidays, national holidays & lockdowns. The above information covers orders from uk.designerexchange.com to mainland UK. Click the button below to learn more about postage including international delivery optionsRead more...
Delivery costs are as follows:
- £6.95 - England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Guernsey & Jersey
- £15 - Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands & Turkey
- £24 - Australia, Barbados, Brazil, Chile, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, USA & Vietnam
Please note that these prices are subject to change, and that any additional customs / duties will be payable by the recipient.Click & Collect
Click & Collect is a free service. Once an order has been placed, you will be emailed once the store has confirmed it is ready for collection. After this, you have 4 days to collect the item and you must show valid photographic ID such as a driving licence or passport. If an item is unavailable for Click & Collect, it may be because the store is closed today or tomorrow. Please check the store opening hours for when you can place your order, or place the order for delivery instead.Close
Q. How do you buy from a Designer Exchange store?
Designer Exchange stores are located in Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds where we have a team of knowledgeable and friendly sales assistants in all the stores who can help or leave you to shop until you drop. Things have changed with COVID-19 so please read and respect the signs in the store outlining how shopping with Designer Exchange has changed.
Designer Exchange also has a store located in Madrid, Spain if you're feeling adventurous!Read more...
In store payments are taken by cash or cards from all major card companies including American Express. Currently Designer Exchange can't accept payment from pre-paid cards or cards without a chip and pin for security reasons.
If paying by voucher, please just hand it over at the point of payment.Reclaiming VAT
Designer Exchange operates under a scheme where customers are not charged VAT on pre-owned goods, therefore you cannot claim any back.Sanitation
You'll find that all of the items have been cleaned and readied for sale however if you would like the item to have a final spruce before you take away then just ask in store. By default, all of the jewellery is thoroughly cleaned and sterilised before being sold.Membership
Whilst in store, you might be asked if you would like to become a member and / or to join the newsletter. Please note that Designer Exchange is fully compliant with the data protection laws to ensure your data is safe, and that you are fully aware of how it will be used. Designer Exchange will only contact you to fulfil business obligations or if you have opted in to receive emails.Layaway
Unfortunately at the moment Designer Exchange does not offer layaway and only accept payment in full. However, if you choose to pay via PayPal, you can opt for PayPal finance at the checkout.Close
Q. How easy is it to sell to Designer Exchange?
Designer Exchange is proudly not a consignment store meaning you're paid you up front and directly for your designer items within 48 hours. This means that once the products are with Designer Exchange (either posted or by-hand), Designer Exchange will authenticate, valuate and pay within 2 days. You need to be 13 or over to sell and you'll need a current driving license or passport if it's your first time.
You can only sell clothing or shoes directly to the Chelsea store - which operates via appointment only where you will be provided with a preliminary quote and the items will be booked in. Appointments are limited to a maximum or 1 hour or 10 items and avaliable for one per customer, per day. Please call the Chelsea store to book, subject to availability.
Please consult the list below for where you can sell your items,
During the process you'll be offered a cash or exchange price. The cash price is sometimes given in cash and sometimes processed as a bank transfer directly into your account. The exchange price is a voucher which never expires and can be used in store or online.
Click on the 'Read More' button below to see the easy steps to sell at Designer ExchangeRead more...
Please bring your items directly into your closest Designer Exchange store or post them in. If posting, be sure to fill in your Seller ID first in your account on designerexchange.com
- 1. The store staff will book the items in for you. If it's your first time selling, you'll need to bring your in-date driving license (full or provisional) or current passport to sign up.
- 2. Once signed up and booked in you'll be given a receipt and a time to return once your items have been authenticated and a final price offer has been reached. Different stores have different wait times and if you're not sure which one to visit, please call ahead and a member of the team will let you know the current wait period.
- 3. Return on or after that time and get a final cash and voucher offer which you can pick either option or decide not to sell. If you've posted your items, this information will be emailed to you. Please be sure you wish to sell before you accept the final offer as an order cannot be cancelled once you have agreed to sell.
If you're opting for the bank transfer, please sign into your uk.designerexchange.com account and add your bank account details. Please note that it has to be a UK bank account and that Designer Exchange staff cannot see this information so you'll be responsible for checking it's correct and current.
If you have multiple items on an order, Designer Exchange can process some as the voucher and some as the cash but a singular item cannot be split.Rejected Items
If you decide not to sell at this point or it does not pass the in store authentication or quality checks then the customer is responsible for the cost and organisation of getting this item back to themselves. Designer Exchange will help where possible however Designer Exchange is not responsible for any of your items that may be lost or damaged by a courier that you have arranged to collect from us.
There may be a number of reasons that Designer Exchange cannot buy your item(s). The common reasons for rejection are if the item is:
- is a brand Designer Exchange does not buy (please see the designers accepted as published on this page)
- is a lesser condition that Designer Exchange accepts (please see the condition guide published on this page)
- is deemed not to be authentic
- is too dated / vintage (although vintage items are purchased, your item may be too dated to accept)
- is a basic black piece of clothing (currently Designer Exchange is limiting the black basics that are purchased)
- is an outlet piece (however not all outlet piece are rejected)
- has non detachable real fur
- is an item that Designer Exchange deems undesirable or will not sell well
If your item is rejected, please collect your items, or arrange for a courier to collect it within 14 days, otherwise they may kept to be sold by Designer Exchange, or disposed of.Close
Q. What condition do your items need to be in?
Everything has a price and can be reused and loved again. However customer feedback over the years has given Designer Exchange refined knowledge for what level of condition customers are happy to buy pre-loved items in.
All the items Designer Exchange buys must be of a certain standard of quality however whatever can be purchased is. If you're not sure if the item you have will be accepted by Designer Exchange, before your bring or post them in, please click the 'Read More' section below to see a further breakdown on what is accepted.Read more...
Handbag and Small Leather Goods Condition Guide
Designer Exchange cannot accept handbags that:
- Are fundamentally damaged such as a broken strap
- Have non-functioning closures such as clasps, zips or buckles
- Have stains to the material both interior and exterior
- Have missing serial stickers (or serial numbers that cannot be read)
- Have strong wear to the material
- Do not have their original designer parts such as a replaced zip
- Do not have additional straps (if additional straps were sold with it originally)
- Have extra holes punched into buckle closures
Shoes Condition Guide
Designer Exchange cannot accept shoes that:
- Have missing or rubbed off / illegible labels
- Have peeled material or scuffing to the heel
- Are overstretched, creased or misshapen
- Are stained, dirty or discoloured exterior of interior
- Have signs of previous use such as sweat marks or toe stains
- Have overworn soles
- Have broken zips, buckles or other fasteners
- Have strong odours such as smoke, moth balls, sweat, damp or perfume.
Clothing Condition Guide
Please note that all articles of clothing need to be dry cleaned before being submitted. Designer Exchange cannot accept pieces of clothing that:
- Has their designer or care label missing (some vintage pieces may be accepted without labels)
- Have stains such as alcohol, food, coffee, drinks, perspiration, other bodily fluids or make up.
- Have wear such as holes, rips, moth holes, pulls, puckering or bobbling.
- Has damage to the material from washing, ironing or dry cleaning
- Has faded or discoloured fabric
- Has been stretched or hardened on materials (such as wool or cashmere)
- Has overstretched elasticated fabric (such as on waistbands or in the crotch)
- Has thinning fabric (such as in worn out knees)
- Has strong odours such as smoke, perspiration, perfume, moth balls, damp or food.
Jewellery Condition Guide
Designer Exchange cannot accept jewellery that:
- Has been bent out of shape
- Is missing integral components
- Are scratched or heavily worn
Watch Condition Guide
Designer Exchange cannot accept watches that:
- Have a working battery (if battery operated)
- Are not working
- Have missing links
- Have additional holes added (to buckle bracelets)
- Have drop marks or cracked glass
Scarves Condition Guide
Designer Exchange cannot accept scarves that:
- Have any burns, pulls, holes or other damage
- Have been stitched up or repaired
Sunglasses Condition Guide
Designer Exchange cannot accept sunglasses that:
- Are prescription
- Have scratches to the lens
- Are bent out of shape
Please note that Designer Exchange retains the right to refuse an item for a condition reason not stated above however the guide above can be used as a general rule of what is accepted.Close
Q. Which brands are traded?
Designer Exchange trades different brands ranging from customer favourites of Chanel, Hermes and Louis Vuitton to wardrobe classics from Balenciaga, Gucci and Prada. All the stores sell all product lines apart from clothing and shoes which can be found exclusively online and in the Chelsea store.
Click on the 'Read More' button below to see a breakdown of which brands are traded and in which stores.Read more...
See a brand in store or online that's not on this list? Designer Exchange might be selling the remaining pieces but no longer buying this brand so always check this table for an up-to-date list.
|Dolce & Gabbana||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Marc by Marc Jacobs||✓||✓|
|Victoria by Victoria Beckham||✓|
|Yves Saint Laurent||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
*Please note the Designer Exchange only buys coats and jackets from Belstaff, Canada Goose and Moncler.
Mens items are only purchased in some categories. Please check the list before you bring something in.
Q. How are the prices determined?
Designer Exchange formulates a sell price based on a number of factors including, but not limited to: original retail price, brand, style, age, condition, material, colour and demand.
The prices offered to you as a customer are based on a set margin for that designer within that type of item - meaning that highly desirable brands like Chanel or Hermès always give you the best margin as a customer possible. When you're quoted for your item, you'll be told your cash offer and exchange offer. The hardest part is then picking which option to go for.
Q. Are the items all authentic?
Designer Exchange stocks 3000+ items at any one time which have all been meticulously inspected by highly trained authenticators before being purchased and readied for sale. In-house experts are professionally trained to spot any and all inconsistencies. Designer Exchange can 100% promise that all items for sale are the genuine article so you can buy with security.
Designer Exchange offers a 12-month warranty on all items which covers the authenticity of the item and does not cover damage. All items are sold pre-loved and prices reflect their condition. Designer Exchange does not cover damage or faults occurred after purchase.
Q. What is the returns policy?
Sometimes the item you thought you would love is just a little too heavy, too big or just not right for you. That's why Designer Exchange gives you a period to return your item should it not be what you're looking for after all.
Not all products can be returned to all Designer Exchange stores. If you have purchased a bag, accessory, piece of jewellery or a watch, it can be returned to ANY Designer Exchange store (just pick your closet store). However, if you have purchased clothing or shoes, it may only be returned to the Chelsea store. If unsure, please consult the list below for where you can return your items.
Please note, Designer Exchange currently does not accept returns from the Madrid store in the UK and vice versa.
Click the button below to see the returns policy.Read more...
Returns Information for Buying Online
If an item has been purchased on designerexchange.com then you have 28 days to return the item for a full refund back to the way you paid. If you're returning the entire of your order, you will also be refunded your initial postage.
Your order will have a returns tag attached which must not be tampered with and still be in place to get your full refund.
Returns Information for Buying In Store
Designer Exchange offers a refund within 48hours back to voucher to the value of the goods being returned. This voucher is valid forever and can be used on anything in-store or online.
Additional Returns Information
Refunds will be processed after inspection within 10 working days and if receiving a refund by card or bank, they may take a further 5 working days to appear in your account.Postal Returns
Unfortunately at this moment Designer Exchange does not offer pre-paid returns and the customer is responsible for the additional cost of insuring / posting or bringing the item back to your nearest store. Designer Exchange highly recommends you use a recognised and efficient courier for your item if you're posting back.
Designer Exchange reserves the right to offer no refund or a partial refund should your item not be returned with either: all that it was sold with or not in the condition it was sold as.Close
Q. How do you request more pictures and information?
Designer Exchange stores fill in all the information you see about a product online however sometimes the store teams are a little busy with in-store customers and so the website is set up to show you at least the picture of the item even if the details are not yet filled in.
However, each product page has a button saying ‘Ask a Question About This Item' which will redirect you to a contact form. You can use this form to directly ask the store where the item is for measurements, information or some more pictures.
Q. How do you create a wishlist?
If you have a certain product in mind that you don't see on the website, you can create an alert for yourself so you're one of the first to know when one becomes available to purchase. This is currently accessed through signing in and clicking on the Alerts section of your profile. With hundreds of new items arriving every week, you will be sure to find what you are looking for soon.
Q. How do you give your suggestions and feedback?
Designer Exchange would love to hear from you. Think Designer Exchange should open a shop near you? Got an idea for a brand collaboration? Want to raise some feedback from a service or product? Simply email email@example.com and a member of the Customer Services Department will respond as soon as possible.
Designer Exchange will only contact you to fulfil business obligations to you, or if you have opted in to receive the emails. Under the GDPR laws, you have the right to erasure. If you wish for Designer Exchange to delete any information in regard to yourself that is held on the system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a request.
Q. What Health and Safety measures does Designer Exchange have in place?
At Designer Exchange the health and wellbeing of both customers and employees is of utmost importance. With this in mind, and given the current situation with COVID-19 Designer Exchange wants to reassure you that this matter is taken very seriously and the health of both staff and customers is the number one priority.
Designer Exchange is closely following the developments around COVID-19 (coronavirus) and will take the necessary measures to keep staff and customers safe. The health and safety operating procedures are industry-leading and these include hygiene standards within the stores.
When visiting the stores, if you’re feeling unwell or have recently returned from an affected area, for the safety of everyone please stay at home.
In the meantime, please follow the NHS guidelines to avoid catching or spreading COVID-19:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often and do so for at least 20 seconds
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available (soap and water are more effective)
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Avoid close contact with people who are unwell
Thank you for all your support on this. You can continue to shop online and keep up to date via the newsletter and social channels.